September 23, 2009

pieper on the resilience of christian philosophy

It is the old, silent, unyielding, irrevocable "cliff" of revealed truth that hinders philosophical thinking from flowing into a smooth, well-channelled stream. It is through the complication of thought that arises from this opposition, wherein Christian philosophy differs from the non-Christian.

–Josef Pieper, "The Philosophical Act" [trans. Gerald Malsbary]

It was this quote that was in the back of my head when I wrote in the prior post that theological answers about grace should contain the speculations of Christian philosophy.

I use, and will likely continue to use, the terms "philosophy", "theology" and "Christian philosohpy" throughout this blog in ways not totally consistent with each other. This is because the barrier between what is each is not entirely clear to me, and I mistrust all who tell me exactly where the boundary is or who, better yet, wholly disparage one to glorify another. At least on this side of the eschaton, theology cannot exist wholly independent of philosophy, nor can philosophy exist apart from theology.

No comments:

Post a Comment